110 V home charging only 2 mph

Geeohs

Cars
Lucid
Is anybody else seeing this slow charge rate? I had the technical come check it out and he blamed everything but the car. Then he wrote it up that it all all normal even though it used to charge faster before the software update.

Denying problem and saying 1-2 mph is normal is a fast way to lose customers if it’s not true. If it is true, they should let everyone know.

This has been discussed before. When using 110v the cooling system/fans for the batteries use a lot of the input so a lot less goes to charging the batteries.

When using the 110V I have never been able to get more than 1-2 miles per hour. I'm pretty sure that that's pretty standard.

It's not reasonable to expect to operate a big EV using 120V charging. A Leaf or Fiat 500 maybe. Invest in a 240V charging station on at least a 50-amp circuit.

This has been discussed before. When using 110v the cooling system/fans for the batteries use a lot of the input so a lot less goes to charging the batteries.
Makes sense to me.. if the cooling equipment requires 90 volts, only 20 volts are left for the battery. Factor in transmission efficiency loss and that may end up only being 10 volts making it to the battery.

(made up numbers, not sure where the original thread is)

Makes sense to me.. if the cooling equipment requires 90 volts, only 20 volts are left for the battery. Factor in transmission efficiency loss and that may end up only being 10 volts making it to the battery.

(made up numbers, not sure where the original thread is)
It's in watts (power). A 120V connection can supply only 1.4kW maximum (120V x 12A). If operating the car's electronics and battery thermal controls requires 1kW, that only leaves 0.4kW for charging the battery, or 0.4kWh (about 1 mile) gained per charging hour.

Charging with 120v Reminds me of a nutritionist telling me that eating celery expends more calories than you can get out of it. Just not worth the time

It's not reasonable to expect to operate a big EV using 120V charging. A Leaf or Fiat 500 maybe. Invest in a 240V charging station on at least a 50-amp circuit.
I don’t think it’s unreasonable to have expected my lucid to charge as well and as efficiently as my previously model s. And, it was charging at 5 mph before the latest software update. Sometimes to drive some place besides home and it’s enough piece of mind to get 5 rather than 1 mile per hour.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to have expected my lucid to charge as well and as efficiently as my previously model s. And, it was charging at 5 mph before the latest software update. Sometimes to drive some place besides home and it’s enough piece of mind to get 5 rather than 1 mile per hour.
The problem is the battery in the Lucid is quite a bit larger, so it’s going to take more time to charge and more effort to cool.

It may get better, but you should really install a 240v charger for any EV.

It's in watts (power). A 120V connection can supply only 1.4kW maximum (120V x 12A). If operating the car's electronics and battery thermal controls requires 1kW, that only leaves 0.4kW for charging the battery, or 0.4kWh (about 1 mile) gained per charging hour.
If this is true and I have no reason to doubt it, that’s what they should have told me on the phone and what the technician who came to my house should have said. Instead they just gave me a bunch of non answers and evasiveness.

Maybe it was only charging .5 not 5 because I was reading what I expected.

Charging with 120v Reminds me of a nutritionist telling me that eating celery expends more calories than you can get out of it. Just not worth the time
If I’m traveling and visting another house where I won’t need my car that much, getting 50 miles overnight makes a big difference versus 10 (over even negative miles).

Level 1 chargers, i.e. 120 VAC, are slow. I get 3 miles for each hour of charging on our Chevy Bolt. I have topped of the Air with the L1 charger after a short drive, but I have not estimated the actual miles recovered per hour of L1 charging time. On the other hand, the L1 charger may be a good accessory for dealing with the phantom battery drain. :rolleyes:

Is anybody else seeing this slow charge rate? I had the technical come check it out and he blamed everything but the car. Then he wrote it up that it all all normal even though it used to charge faster before the software update.

Denying problem and saying 1-2 mph is normal is a fast way to lose customers if it’s not true. If it is true, they should let everyone know.
You beat me! I got only 0.6~0.8 mph. Then when the fan starts running loud as weather got hotter, I got -2 mph bc that fan. I even naively brought cable back to Service Center asking to check possible defect. Nope! I was naive. Now I’m armed with L2 charger in my garage, easy peasy life at 40+mph. 😊

I don’t think that we are naïve. There is too much ambiguity coming from Lucid. Just tell us up front so I’m not wasting my time trying to find solutions. I have a level 2 charger at my primary house. But I like to know what the capabilities are. What if I can’t find a charger and I’m almost empty but I’m 5 miles away? Is it an hour or 5 hours if charging if only a wall plug is available.

If this is true and I have no reason to doubt it, that’s what they should have told me on the phone and what the technician who came to my house should have said. Instead they just gave me a bunch of non answers and evasiveness.
I appreciate your explanation.

yep same here (~2mi/h). it only worked once though from my garage (120v). when i tried to use it again a few days later, it showed a charging error. that time my garage lights were flickering so i thought it's pulling too much power and disconnected my cable.

yep same here (~2mi/h). it only worked once though from my garage (120v). when i tried to use it again a few days later, it showed a charging error. that time my garage lights were flickering so i thought it's pulling too much power and disconnected my cable.
Even for smaller EVs with 120V, a dedicated circuit for the charger (ie no other receptacles or lights powered off the circuit) is highly recommended.

Back