Recent content by DoctorZ

  1. DoctorZ

    Lucid Ham Radio Installations and Owners

    Most Storm Chasers understand thunderstorm structure and dynamics and therefore can avoid the hail cores.
  2. DoctorZ

    Lucid Ham Radio Installations and Owners

    Good enough, I guess for radio and rollover, but I still prefer a solid metal roof for lightning protection. Got to stay in my Faraday Cage during storm chases.
  3. DoctorZ

    Lucid Ham Radio Installations and Owners

    Why couldn't you just throw a portable generator that outputs 220v in the trunk and charge on the fly?
  4. DoctorZ

    Lucid Ham Radio Installations and Owners

    My current storm chase vehicle has a range of 900 miles on a tank of fuel. My Current Storm Chase Vehicle.
  5. DoctorZ

    Lucid Ham Radio Installations and Owners

    To chase storms you need a very reliable vehicle. It needs to handle 100+ MPH winds, torrential hail, 2+ feet of standing water (think snorkel) and be able to get you out of the tornado/hurricane/blizzard's path FAST, as well as dodge falling debris. FUN, FUN, FUN!!!! Yep, I chase major...
  6. DoctorZ

    Lucid Ham Radio Installations and Owners

    I am only interested in the Air with the metal (aluminum) roof. I'd never own a glass roof vehicle as, like convertibles, they offer NO protection from lightning! They also are not safe in roll-overs and I have rolled my sports cars TWICE!
  7. DoctorZ

    Lucid Ham Radio Installations and Owners

    I can give you three reasons off the bat for my decision: 1. About $30,000 price difference 2. It's UGLY 3. It doesn't appear to have a metal roof. The metal roof has been the biggest obstacle against an EV for me because they're NOT safe in lightning storms, and they make it almost impossible...
  8. DoctorZ

    Lucid Ham Radio Installations and Owners

    I have read many complaints that the AM/FM HD radios are unreliable in the Lucid. I suspect this is probably the result of all the filtering and shielding Lucid has tried to make them work in spite of all the RFI coming off the motors. However, I found a YouTube video where an electrionics...
  9. DoctorZ

    Lucid Ham Radio Installations and Owners

    First off I'd never get one with a glass roof--no protection from lightning. The aluminum roof is great though. It would make for an excellent ground plane. What I cannot understand is why you wouldn't just install a roof mount with a fold-down antenna on it?
  10. DoctorZ

    Lucid Ham Radio Installations and Owners

    Most public safety has moved to the 900 MHz digital spectrum, so won't have much problem with RF from the A/C inverters. I was thinking more about the smaller PD departments that are still operating in the 20-Meter band.
  11. DoctorZ

    Lucid Ham Radio Installations and Owners

    Eventually it appears as if we're all going to have to buy an EV. With that said, I'm not interested in anything other than a Lucid! However, as a Storm Chaser/SkyWarn Certified Severe Weather Spotter, and a licensed Ham Radio Operator, I need to know if my equipment will work in the vehicle...
Back
Top