Test drove the i5 M60 and here are some comparisons

codys21

Verified Owner
I have a 2023 Pure AWD

First off, as we all know, Lucid's packing is tremendous. We've all heard about "size of an E class but more interior room than an S class". This is clearly seen when comparing to the i5 as well. The backseats of the i5 are truly not big at all. I'm 6'3" and the dealer had to sit behind my wife and switch seats in the back when my wife and I switched drivers because the (average height) guy literally couldn't fit behind me. Trunk is ok but nothing special. Similar to the size of the Air, but without the lower portion. No frunk. At least the hood opens *cough* Mercedes *cough* but it's just a bunch of plastic. The dealer was actually interested in our car so we showed him ours afterward and he was seriously impressed and laughed (in a happy way) that we can fit a spare tire under the flap in the frunk, and still have a fully useable frunk.

I won't really talk much about the exterior design because that can change from person to person, though I must say the i5 looks a whole lot better than basically everything else BMW offers nowadays.

Range: the i5 is rated at 260ish miles, though in independent tests, they usually do actually achieve that at freeway speeds, unlike the Air, so the i5 doesn't have drastically lower real-world highway range than the Air (Pure and Touring, anyway)

Other than the couple things mentioned above, the BMW is better is most aspects. The interior looks nicer, there's a sunroof (I still cannot believe than a car as expensive as the Air doesn't offer one), the screens are soooo much more personalize-able, and the software is soo much better it's not even close.

When engaging the sportiest mode, the seat side bolsters tighten up to better hold the driver and front passenger in place. The coloring changes throughout the car when changing modes or can be personalized. Again, it seems everything with the screens can be changed to show whatever you want, in a way the Air doesn't even come close to touching.

Overall, I think I'd still rather have our car, just considering the massive amount of room, and the overall engineering that went into it (and of course helping an EV only company get off the ground), but man if the Air could have the i5's software, it'd be absolutely incredible.

I have a 2023 Pure AWD

First off, as we all know, Lucid's packing is tremendous. We've all heard about "size of an E class but more interior room than an S class". This is clearly seen when comparing to the i5 as well. The backseats of the i5 are truly not big at all. I'm 6'3" and the dealer had to sit behind my wife and switch seats in the back when my wife and I switched drivers because the (average height) guy literally couldn't fit behind me. Trunk is ok but nothing special. Similar to the size of the Air, but without the lower portion. No frunk. At least the hood opens *cough* Mercedes *cough* but it's just a bunch of plastic. The dealer was actually interested in our car so we showed him ours afterward and he was seriously impressed and laughed (in a happy way) that we can fit a spare tire under the flap in the frunk, and still have a fully useable frunk.

I won't really talk much about the exterior design because that can change from person to person, though I must say the i5 looks a whole lot better than basically everything else BMW offers nowadays.

Range: the i5 is rated at 260ish miles, though in independent tests, they usually do actually achieve that at freeway speeds, unlike the Air, so the i5 doesn't have drastically lower real-world highway range than the Air (Pure and Touring, anyway)

Other than the couple things mentioned above, the BMW is better is most aspects. The interior looks nicer, there's a sunroof (I still cannot believe than a car as expensive as the Air doesn't offer one), the screens are soooo much more personalize-able, and the software is soo much better it's not even close.

When engaging the sportiest mode, the seat side bolsters tighten up to better hold the driver and front passenger in place. The coloring changes throughout the car when changing modes or can be personalized. Again, it seems everything with the screens can be changed to show whatever you want, in a way the Air doesn't even come close to touching.

Overall, I think I'd still rather have our car, just considering the massive amount of room, and the overall engineering that went into it (and of course helping an EV only company get off the ground), but man if the Air could have the i5's software, it'd be absolutely incredible.
I sat in an i4, felt much cheaper than a Lucid. All those customization and color changes are unnecessary in my opinion. I like it simple and elegant. I never liked going to discos. Germans making up for lack of engineering by giving you some toys on the screen. But they can’t fool me!

The new bmw interiors are hard to beat. Best in the business if you ask me. Agree the infotainment and screens and software in the bmw are way better. Otherwise air wins all other categories for me (looks, handling isn’t even close to the air, speed, range, interior and cargo space). I’m still impressed every time I drive the air at the handling. It’s incredible and this is coming from a bmw M guy who has 2 M cars.

Reactions: DBV
I have a 2023 Pure AWD

A superb report. I had a 2018 BMW 5 series PHEV and it drove very well. The transition, for example, between electric propulsion and ICE propulsion was seamless.

The I5 is the first BMW EV that doesn't resemble a Medusa (IMHO...Lucken and I disagree about this) and I think it does provide serious competition to Lucid. Each vehicle can check different boxes so a purchaser/lessee should match her requirements/desires with each vehicle.

The I5 is the first BMW EV that doesn't resemble a Medusa (IMHO...Lucken and I disagree about this)
Opposite opinion for me.. the i4 and i7 (and yes even the iX) look better to me than the i5. The i4 and i7 have some perfect proportions for what they are, and the i4's grills have grown on me (I liked the i7's from the start). The iX is where it gets tricky.. I like the sides as well as the rear, but the front is somewhat questionable (I do kind of like it, in a weird way). I still think it is better than the i5, which has FWD-esque proportions with that hood as well as the generic looking side/rear. Maybe @momo3605 could also comment on this?

Opposite opinion for me.. the i4 and i7 (and yes even the iX) look better to me than the i5. The i4 and i7 have some perfect proportions for what they are, and the i4's grills have grown on me (I liked the i7's from the start). The iX is where it gets tricky.. I like the sides as well as the rear, but the front is somewhat questionable (I do kind of like it, in a weird way). I still think it is better than the i5, which has FWD-esque proportions with that hood as well as the generic looking side/rear. Maybe @momo3605 could also comment on this?
The issue for me is that the i4, i5 are both modified ICE platforms, but the new 5/i5 looks like a pseudo crossover with the height because of trying to cram a battery underneath it.

The iX is a true EV only platform, its roomy inside, high ceilings, and just feels airy, modern , and comfortable. The i4 and i5 are just so tight and claustrophobic compared to their physical size. Looks wise…none are great, maybe the i4 has the best proportions of the lot other than the grill (but just my personal opinion)

I don’t care about the i7 since it’s meant to be a luxury boat and has no sport sedan pretense😴

Back