Tesla Superchargers to open to all EVs in California

As expected in Tesla's firing and hiring history. It repeats itself: The Director of Charging North America Max De Zegher, who was fired with other 500 Supercharger employees, is now re-hired after 2 weeks:

I don't agree with destroying the whole Supercharger department in the first place, but there's no way it can remain dead for too long.

Tesla will need to keep a very close eye on re-hired employees who were the pawns for this piece of Musk-ian performance art.

And, moreover, I want to know what sweet deal Max got to come back, since they had all the leverage.

Performance art at the expense of stability and employee loyalty. What is the benefit of this type publicity and how does this advance the company? Unfortunately, I agree with Delaware judge that the Tesla board is in Elon's pocket and not exercising their duty to the company.

I am very impressed with the quality of this discussion, which is in stark contrast to what people are posting in other social media about this. Great points and perspectives being shared here!

Personally I think this is blown out of proportion. As someone posted previously, Musk is the same person he was 5, 10, and 15 years ago. The people who work at Tesla have to know what he is like, and this sort of thing can't be a big surprise to any employee. I think they choose to work there because they like working there, and Musk is just part of the fun. I bet a large percentage of employees are long time stock holders and might not even need to work, but they want to. I know that isn't everyone included in that layoff, of course, but still. I think they will come back if given the chance, because what happened is part of working at Tesla.

Just my thoughts.

Interesting post but is Elon the same person he was 15 years ago? Is he really concentrating all his time and effort at building up Tesla? We have all read and perhaps had bosses that were slavedrivers ( Steve Jobs) and were lauded for their performance, but people didn't enjoy working for them. It seems to me that Mr Musk is distracted and is behaving a little erratically. Firing the entire Supercharger R&D division, only to start rehiring them a week later is either impulsive or just being done for publicity. Either way, I'm thinking even those that are financially independent wouldn't find this type workplace environment appealing.

But a good many sins are forgiven with a strong earnings report so time will tell.

Interesting post but is Elon the same person he was 15 years ago? Is he really concentrating all his time and effort at building up Tesla? We have all read and perhaps had bosses that were slavedrivers ( Steve Jobs) and were lauded for their performance, but people didn't enjoy working for them. It seems to me that Mr Musk is distracted and is behaving a little erratically. Firing the entire Supercharger R&D division, only to start rehiring them a week later is either impulsive or just being done for publicity. Either way, I'm thinking even those that are financially independent wouldn't find this type workplace environment appealing.

But a good many sins are forgiven with a strong earnings report so time will tell.
I can't imagine that work environment being pleasant to work in. I wouldn't work for any company he ran, unless I was in danger of losing my home and there were absolutely no other job opportunities available. And even then, it would only be until I found something else.

...Musk is the same person he was 5, 10, and 15 years ago.
He isn't. When he started X.com (the first one, not the new one), he was humble; he knew he was trying to do something hard, and was working his butt off for it, because he had a chip on his shoulder and felt like he had something to prove. Any new founder operates this way.

Now, he thinks he is god's gift to startups, which is nonsense. One only has to look at his interactions with OpenAI (i.e. "you can't survive if I'm not CEO" and "selling to Tesla is your only option to avoid death") to know that.

He is not the same person he was. Once upon a time, he rejected all koolaid. Now, he drinks all of his own.

I have lots of friends who used to work at Tesla; used to being the operative phrase there.

My $.02, of course.

Latest on the layoffs. Supercharger division was run by Drew Baglino with little input from Musk. After Baglino left, Musk met with Rebecca Tinucci. He asked for job cuts. She cut staff by 15% and presented a plan to move forward. Elon wanted more cuts which she felt would not allow needed improvements. He then fired her and the rest of the department. Superchargers now fall under the energy team which sells PVs and Powerwalls. Partners to the supercharger group (construction contractors, utilities and site managers) some of which have hired staff or purchased equipment based on expansion plans are now stuck with those investments and further work is stalled.

Further details:

Back