Sapphire Experience and Rims/Tires

GulfSpeed24

Hi! Any Sapphire owners on have any thoughts on their experience with the car? For example, are you thrilled with your purchase or do you think another Air model would be all one really needs or possibly more in terms of options? Finally, anyone figure out a source to get aftermarket rims to fit all-season or winter tires on the car? I understand that the rims that come with the car only allow for summer tires.

I asked my Service Advisor same thing RE: Winter wheel/tire setup for Sapphire given current Air is 4 season daily driver. I was told current Lucid Air winter wheel tire setup will NOT fit Sapphire (duh) but was also told that there is not a plan for Lucid to bring winter wheel setup for Sapphire. I am looking at just finding tires that will work in winter. So far nothing fruitful. Let me know if you find anything. I'd trade my AGT for Sapphire if I can get the winter stuff figured out.

I was told current Lucid Air winter wheel tire setup will NOT fit Sapphire (duh) but was also told that there is not a plan for Lucid to bring winter wheel setup for Sapphire.
I'm not sure I'd believe this. In what way would they not fit?

As for aftermarket wheel options ... there are many assuming all Airs have the same bolt pattern.

If I had to guess, you could bolt it up but you would have a clearance issue to the brake calipers. The calipers on the sapphire are significantly beefier so you probably need much more spacing to clear it. The rims are probably wider, because widebody so even if you could clear the calipers it might look a little funny.

You could use some wheel spacers in the correct bolt pattern to space the wheel out from the hub. You'll need to be very careful about thread engagement on the bolts. I'm not sure if the car uses studs and lug nuts, or wheel bolts but when you space anything out you need to make sure you have at least 1.5x thread engagement relative to the bolt/stud diameter. So if the bolt is a 12mm in diameter, make sure you are engaging 18mm of thread.

I asked my Service Advisor same thing RE: Winter wheel/tire setup for Sapphire given current Air is 4 season daily driver. I was told current Lucid Air winter wheel tire setup will NOT fit Sapphire (duh) but was also told that there is not a plan for Lucid to bring winter wheel setup for Sapphire. I am looking at just finding tires that will work in winter. So far nothing fruitful. Let me know if you find anything. I'd trade my AGT for Sapphire if I can get the winter stuff figured out.
I believe Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero S2 will fit original rims.

Lucid is saying the brake calipers are too large.

As far as tires, the Sapphire has a P265/35R20 Front and P295/30R21 Rear setup. I will check again, but not finding that winter rubber.

Lucid is saying the brake calipers are too large.

As far as tires, the Sapphire has a P265/35R20 Front and P295/30R21 Rear setup. I will check again, but not finding that winter rubber.

Honestly wider is not your friend in snow/rain conditions. Don't feel like you absolutely need to get the same size tire. If there are more options by sizing down, I don't see why you can't. So long as the rim will take the smaller tire.

Hi, all.

An Air Sapphire-specific winter tire is coming. We don't have a specific date to share

We strongly recommend against fitting any tire not developed or endorsed by us, because we put a great deal of time and effort into making sure our tires, suspension, steering, brakes and software are all tuned together to work in perfect harmony.

Hi, all.

An Air Sapphire-specific winter tire is coming. We don't have a specific date to share

We strongly recommend against fitting any tire not developed or endorsed by us, because we put a great deal of time and effort into making sure our tires, suspension, steering, brakes and software are all tuned together to work in perfect harmony.
Does this also apply for other trims?

Hi, all.

Most excellent news!
That means one thing (or two)
#1-Me, driving the Sapphire all year around.
#2- I can dump my current GT-P into my lovely wife's lap. Let her race me, btw she is a one feiety woman, not to be reckon with :)

Back