Regenerative braking

But then there has to be a sign somewhere on dashboard that indicates friction braking is on? Otherwise how driver will know if it’s regen or friction braking?
Why would that matter?

"When SOC is too high for regen, the car will automatically blend normal brakes in to simulate the same driving experience. When the battery can accept charge, the maximum regen possible will be used, as always."

Yeah - you didn’t have regen braking. You had friction brakes that it pretended were regen so you didn’t get uncomfortable.

I agree it’d be a neat and useful feature for Lucid to add.

But then there has to be a sign somewhere on dashboard that indicates friction braking is on? Otherwise how driver will know if it’s regen or friction braking?
The power meter should tell you whether you are generating or consuming power.

The easier, and much more likely, feature to add is just a warning that regen is limited. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see that sooner.
Yes I hope that such a warning is included in the next update.

It does, but it’s relatively small and hard to pay attention to while also watching the road.
Exactly. And I would rather not have car applying brakes as it doesn’t put power back into battery. Coasting at that time would be more energy efficient. I would personally like to apply friction brakes in my own than car unnecessarily (sometimes) braking causing unwanted wear on brakes.

I think having brake light indication might be kinda overkill, no? It's not like we need it for ICE cars, right? Sure, they may as well add it if their software team has free time but they probably have more pressing issues.

Plus I'm pretty sure car manufacturers are legally obligated to provide working brake lights. Otherwise we'd be back to hand/arm signaling to be 100% certain,

It does, but it’s relatively small and hard to pay attention to while also watching the road.

Plus I'm pretty sure car manufacturers are legally obligated to provide working brake lights. Otherwise we'd be back to hand/arm signaling to be 100% certain,
Yes...at least in the US. But the issue some have raised on EVs is when should the brake lights come on when one is driving one pedal. Should they go on every time the driver takes his foot off the accelerator? When he first uses the pedal?

Yes...at least in the US. But the issue some have raised on EVs is when should the brake lights come on when one is driving one pedal. Should they go on every time the driver takes his foot off the accelerator? When he first uses the pedal?
They should and they do. But it’s not every time you take your foot off the accelerator. It’s related to the rate of deceleration.

They should and they do. But it’s not every time you take your foot off the accelerator. It’s related to the rate of deceleration.
Which makes sense. When you're driving an ICE car and you lift your foot off the accelerator, the car slows down but the brake lights don't come on until you actually press the brake pedal. So other drivers shouldn't need to see a light the moment you stop accelerating.

I have a dark road coming home and could watch reflection of tail light on reflectors in RV mirror. As Bobby said it doesn’t come on immediately but do light up as soon as deceleration is more than coasting in ice cars. On high regen though it comes if you completely take your foot off.

Which makes sense. When you're driving an ICE car and you lift your foot off the accelerator, the car slows down but the brake lights don't come on until you actually press the brake pedal. So other drivers shouldn't need to see a light the moment you stop accelerating.
So maybe folks can agree the brake lights from regen braking is even more reliable that downshifting a manual transmission ICE car where the brake light do not come on at all?

I get it ... there's nothing wrong with getting verification the brake lights come on .... but there are a lot of other things we put our faith into when it comes to driving car.

agreed that tesla will indicate that regen is limited and Lucid should do the same. I wonder what the code monkees have to say ?

I have posted this first 6% SOC regen warning as software feature wishlist on this way way back… 😞

Back