Guess the name of this project or the name of the future car...

Not sure I Love Earth as a car name. "I'm going to take the Gravity out for a spin" rolls off the tongue. "I'm going to take the Earth out for a spin" doesn't.

If I were Lucid, given the Gravity Fiasco, I'd be trademarking whatever terms had a 10% chance of being the actual name, though. Just in case.
Agree. The best example I can give is this. Me and my brother, upon getting a new car, "naturally" call it one of two things: its make or its model. Our Accord and Sorento were both called by their model names, but our latest EV9 has receded to being called the "Kia." I am willing to guess that this is because of the alphanumeric designation. My point is, names that roll off the tongue better are usually more recognizable and more often used, while names like "EV9" or "Earth" are not. If we were to get a Lucid Midsize, I bet it would be called the "Lucid," not the "Earth." Meanwhile, we called the Air by its model name on the test drive, not a "Lucid!"

Air and Gravity are good names... Earth is not as I previously said. Just my opinion.

If I were Lucid, given the Gravity Fiasco, I'd be trademarking whatever terms had a 10% chance of being the actual name, though. Just in case.

Any update on where this issue stands?

I am willing to guess that this is because of the alphanumeric designation. My point is, names that roll off the tongue better are usually more recognizable and more often used, while names like "EV9" or "Earth" are not.
Tell that to Porsche. "Porsche 911 (996) Turbo S" what?? And yet people actually call that "my 996."

Tell that to Porsche. "Porsche 911 (996) Turbo S" what?? And yet people actually call that "my 996."
Nah, that's just Porsche guys being Porsche guys. Porsche guys are to calling their cars by their internal designation as Corvette owners are to "This is my Sunset orange Z06, which is one of six made in this exact spec at 1:13 PM on June 13th 2007 by Mark in the factory and finished with the red racing stripes!"

Was talking to a Porsche guy once. He was quite the fan and went on about the various interations: " yeah I had a 996 after the 944..."and on and on with the 9 something something. He's owned about half a dozen or more. I had no idea what he was talking about, and did not know Porsche made anything but the 911 after the classic 356 bathtub Porsche.
1715383892428.jpeg

Turns out he was talking about the same model: they are all 911s to me. I don't know why Porsche people do that? Just tell me the year of your "911" and I can fill in the rest. Never driven a Porsche, and now it's too late. When they started branding SUVs I lost interest in the company = just VW going insane with mark-ups. A 3-ton SUV jacked up with a Porsche badge is some kind of blasphemy. The whale-tail version is the ugliest built, and I hear it's a terror for a rookie, but still it's somehow cool.
1715383737114.jpeg

Yet ... the 911, any iteration, still turns my head. Boomers can't resist them. Unique sound too. My neighbor has the full 9-yards: Turbo S convert able. I can hear him coming from afar. He doesn't drive it properly...never has the top down. He looks ridiculous driving it but the car is awesome.
One day I pulled up next to a GT3 in bright yellow. Windows open I looked over and I swear it was
1715383364485.jpeg
I was driving the V70R. He was smiling at me so I blipped the throttle (my car was "modified"). When the light changed I sat there and let him go (didn't want to make him cry). He was a classy dude. The car was to die for.

Yes, in my experiences, all the Porsche owners refer to their cars as " ... the nine something something."

Last edited:
Not sure I Love Earth as a car name. "I'm going to take the Gravity out for a spin" rolls off the tongue. "I'm going to take the Earth out for a spin" doesn't..

That’s because, as everybody knows, it doesn’t make sense to use the word “spin” with “Earth” in the same sentence because the Earth is flat.

Orlando-Ferguson-flat-earth-map_edit.jpg

I think Lucid should consider the name "Terra" - Latin for Earth. Lucid Terra sounds a bit cooler IMO. Plus you have the word Terra in terrain so if its meant to be an all-terrain kind of mid-size suv seems fitting.

Back