Gravity at Tysons Corner Studio

Okay, now I'm just confused. The valley fair one was definitely stealth, but wasn't the LA auto show one also stealth on green? It appears they are making multiple in the same specifications for now, which is fine. Upon closer inspection, the Valley Fair Gravity seems to have different rims (stealth version of "dream" rims) vs the similarly specced green LA auto show gravity. Were you able to see which trim the Valley Fair one was? I do hope we see some Gravities in lower trims as well.

Valley Fair (credit to @OCDC ):
View attachment 20649
LA Auto show:
View attachment 20648

PS: Are those Aurora Green calipers on the Valley Fair Gravity? Seriously hoping there's just a simple black option for that, although I admit the matching scheme looks somewhat cool.
It’s the same one that was at LA Auto Show. I think it just has different rims on it now.

You’re right, as the pictures were very clear. The Gravity does seem to be packaged marvelously well, especially regarding the cargo space and the third row. I do have a couple of very specific questions I would like answered:

Compared to the Air, is the distance between the edge of the 2nd row seat and the seatback of the 1st more or less? And by how much?

Will the captains chairs shown during the Gravity tease be available at launch with all trims? And will they have ventilation/possibly massaging functions? (with our new car, the recliners with the leg-rest are genuinely useful for sleeping on long road trips. It's not just a gimmick!)

Is there any space underneath the front seat, and how big is it? Is there any space under the 2nd row seat for third row passengers?

What will be available to view on the rear screen?

Not very likely that all these questions will be answered, but one can hope. There's a lot of other questions I have, but I held off on posting them because I'm sure the detailed specs for those questions will be released with the advent of reservations opening. Almost every aspect of the Gravity is shaping up to be perfect, but as seen above, the second row is the only concern left!
The rear screen would only access functions like the air I think. They were pushing for a BYODD, bring your own digital device.

The rear screen would only access functions like the air I think. They were pushing for a BYODD, bring your own digital device.
That makes a lot of sense actually, and it would explain the "Bring your own iPad and use it with the integrated table" narrative some reviewers were pushing. As some of Tesla's models have shown, having a small screen down there is not the most optimal viewing position. I do hope it's more like Rivians new rear screen, which has a lot more useful functions (even vs the Air). Maybe @Tesla2.0 could elaborate more on that?

Based on what they mentioned at a factory tour a few months back, they are looking at summer (sounded like July) to have the AZ production line actually stamping bodies and assembling pre-production Gravity models. So one would think they wouldn't open the reservations until then at the earlyest.

Of course, they opened Air reservations literally years before this point of pre-production. So there seems to be a different marketing strategy in play this time around.

I can see the puts and takes of whether to open reservations ahead of releasing final specs for order configuration, but I'm a bit surprised that Lucid hasn't at least disclosed whether the Dream Edition is going to be a limited run this time around and, if so, for how long or how many units. Usually when car manufacturers do limited editions of vehicles, they are on a different reservation/ordering cycle from continuing production run vehicles.

I wonder if it's because basic decisions haven't yet been made about the Dream Edition regarding unique specs and production numbers. There's a lot less mention of the Gravity Dream Edition in marketing materials and in interviews with Lucid executives than there was with the Air Dream. I have a feeling it's going to be less differentiated from the other trims than the Air Dream was from the rest of the Air lineup.

Of course, they opened Air reservations literally years before this point of pre-production. So there seems to be a different marketing strategy in play this time around.

I can see the puts and takes of whether to open reservations ahead of releasing final specs for order configuration, but I'm a bit surprised that Lucid hasn't at least disclosed whether the Dream Edition is going to be a limited run this time around and, if so, for how long or how many units. Usually when car manufacturers do limited editions of vehicles, they are on a different reservation/ordering cycle from continuing production run vehicles.

I wonder if it's because basic decisions haven't yet been made about the Dream Edition regarding unique specs and production numbers. There's a lot less mention of the Gravity Dream Edition in marketing materials and in interviews with Lucid executives than there was with the Air Dream. I have a feeling it's going to be less differentiated from the other trims than the Air Dream was from the rest of the Air lineup.
My feelings are that Dreams will just be the highest trim and not exclusive this time around, supported by your reasoning above.

My feelings are that Dreams will just be the highest trim and not exclusive this time around, supported by your reasoning above.

Back when I was waiting for our Air Dream, Zak Edson, VP of Sales & Service, told me that the Air Dream was something of a personal project for Rawlinson who wanted to push the new technology they were developing nearer to its limits when they had a bit less cost constraint than with mainline versions. With Lucid's powertrain technology now more fully evolved, I suspect this is less important to Lucid.

Frankly, though, I'm still hoping Lucid will make use in the Gravity Dream of the additional power tricks they learned with the Air Dream and GT Performance.

Well, the Gravity DE will "only" have 800+ hp, which tracks nicely with the Air GT hp. This could mean that the Dreams use the same mechanics as some of the lesser trims, which would back up it just being a top trim and not an engineering exercise as the Air DE was. With the discontinuation of the GT-P for the Air, I'm believing that this will carry over and that the trim levels will have a sudden jump between the 800 hp DE and the Sapphire. A side note, I really don't know why the Gravity Sapphire needs to exist. It's pretty clear that nobody will ever be tracking it, and a tri motor "grand tourer" with all the luxuries (glass roof, ride quality tuning, etc) would be far more useful.

Also, @hydbob , other than the prominent DE badging on the interior and exterior, how would this vehicle be differentiated from the Gravity GT? At least from what I'm seeing (green GT compared to silver DE), they are the same in all ways except for the badging (which honestly, I find looks kind of tacky, especially the huge DE script on the front door panel).

Well, the Gravity DE will "only" have 800+ hp, which tracks nicely with the Air GT hp. This could mean that the Dreams use the same mechanics as some of the lesser trims, which would back up it just being a top trim and not an engineering exercise as the Air DE was. With the discontinuation of the GT-P for the Air, I'm believing that this will carry over and that the trim levels will have a sudden jump between the 800 hp DE and the Sapphire. A side note, I really don't know why the Gravity Sapphire needs to exist. It's pretty clear that nobody will ever be tracking it, and a tri motor "grand tourer" with all the luxuries (glass roof, ride quality tuning, etc) would be far more useful.

Also, @hydbob , other than the prominent DE badging on the interior and exterior, how would this vehicle be differentiated from the Gravity GT? At least from what I'm seeing (green GT compared to silver DE), they are the same in all ways except for the badging (which honestly, I find looks kind of tacky, especially the huge DE script on the front door panel).
Well, if I had to venture a guess, based off no data, I'd say the DE would be the ones with the captain chair seating.

Well, the Gravity DE will "only" have 800+ hp, which tracks nicely with the Air GT hp. This could mean that the Dreams use the same mechanics as some of the lesser trims, which would back up it just being a top trim and not an engineering exercise as the Air DE was.
I believe the Gravity motors are tuned for higher torque over power, so the lower trims could still have lower hp. We'll see.
With the discontinuation of the GT-P for the Air, I'm believing that this will carry over and that the trim levels will have a sudden jump between the 800 hp DE and the Sapphire. A side note, I really don't know why the Gravity Sapphire needs to exist. It's pretty clear that nobody will ever be tracking it, and a tri motor "grand tourer" with all the luxuries (glass roof, ride quality tuning, etc) would be far more useful.
I know it's been said that every model will have a Sapphire trim, but has anyone ever said that Sapphire means track? Could it just mean the "extreme" version of whatever it is? So, for Gravity, transform the platform into an actual offroader? Strip weight, make room for fatter tires, and so on. Add tri motor to that and you end up with something very fast and useful. Just a thought.
which honestly, I find looks kind of tacky, especially the huge DE script on the front door panel
That DE script in the doors looks awesome to me. Maybe pictures don't do it justice, it's very clean and minimal, but more than anything on the Air DE it says "I'm special."

. . . a tri motor "grand tourer" [Gravity] with all the luxuries (glass roof, ride quality tuning, etc) would be far more useful.

Yes, this would be my "dream edition" of the Gravity.

From what I understand, Lucid is holding off on releasing specs/opening orders because they are attempting to achieve the 5kwh milestone for gravity then push higher efficiency on the midsize platform bringing the battery cost down substantially to introduce lower cost trims. Peter mentioned a few weeks ago they were very close so it sounds possible. Then they'd only need a 100kwh battery to achieve 500 mile range as opposed to 118kwh now.

From what I understand, Lucid is holding off on releasing specs/opening orders because they are attempting to achieve the 5kwh milestone for gravity then push higher efficiency on the midsize platform bringing the battery cost down substantially to introduce lower cost trims. Peter mentioned a few weeks ago they were very close so it sounds possible. Then they'd only need a 100kwh battery to achieve 500 mile range as opposed to 118-130kwh now.
No. The Gravity will have 3.6 mi/kwh, as mentioned. The 5 Mi/kwh is believed by me to be the number for the "upcoming" Air refresh, while the midsize aims to hit 6 mi/kwh. We talked about this in another thread, where Rawlinson's given timelines matched up with what I just said. It's just speculation, but you can be almost certain the Gravity will not hit 5 mi/kwh.

With Lucid saying it is on track to begin Gravity deliveries late this year, I think it's virtually certain that core powertrain work and the specs relating to it are already locked in. There may still be some chassis tuning and software work underway, but not anything relating to core engineering and performance.

My guess is that release of anything like final specs and an order configurator is waiting on locking things down with the supplier network.

I'm also wondering whether NACS and the confusion sown by Tesla's demolishing a large part of its Supercharger team has put something on pause. Recent word was that Mercedes and some other automakers were revisiting their NACS plans as a result. And Rawlinson probably knows that if Musk wants to pull any punches in fouling up competitor's plans to access the Tesla network, Lucid would be his main punching bag.

Ooo, I might try to get out to Tysons over the weekend to check it out.

Is there any space underneath the front seat, and how big is it? Is there any space under the 2nd row seat for third row passengers?
Tried to do some sleuthing on this today.

IMG_0739.jpeg

IMG_0738.jpeg

IMG_0743.jpeg

I was leaning in with my flash on, but it was still pretty dark in there. It very much looks like there is some amount of space under the seats, but almost looks like there's a bit of an incline to it? I couldn't actually see that with my eyes, so not sure if it's a trick of the light in that picture. I couldn't get close enough to tell about the third row, but I think it looks similar.

IMG_0742.jpeg

The rear screen was off, so no idea what's available back there, but it is definitely bigger than the Air's.

Tried to do some sleuthing on this today.

View attachment 20911

View attachment 20912

View attachment 20914

I was leaning in with my flash on, but it was still pretty dark in there. It very much looks like there is some amount of space under the seats, but almost looks like there's a bit of an incline to it? I couldn't actually see that with my eyes, so not sure if it's a trick of the light in that picture. I couldn't get close enough to tell about the third row, but I think it looks similar.

View attachment 20913

The rear screen was off, so no idea what's available back there, but it is definitely bigger than the Air's.
These are perhaps the clearest pictures of Gravity's seating arrangements that I have seen. Your pictures do seem to confirm the "slope" that I thought existed based on a picture of a prototype, and it is similar to the Air Pure/Touring. I wonder if the Gravity Touring will have this rise.

HOWEVER.. this picture also confirmed something I had not previously seen. Similarly to the Sienna's "super long slide" feature, it appears that there are extraordinarily long rails for the second row seats. This would let us prioritize 2nd row seating 95 percent of the time and also let us have a usable third row for the moments we need it. If it can indeed slide all the way back to the point of touching the third row seat, I suspect there will be so much room the upward rise won't matter.

Back