Aston Martin and Lucid

Looks like AM is saying they will be 4 cars on the new platform developed with Lucid tech.

Fantastic.

Who else wants some Lucid drivetrain tech?!
Not only using Lucid tech, but actual parts Lucid will build in their own Arizona factory. So batteries, motors, all built by Lucid. (At first I thought they just licensed the tech to Aston Martin.)

Not sure if you caught the podcast with Motortrend and the Lucid vehicle dynamics team, but they mentioned one of the engineers petitioning for a RWD car using the sapphire drive unit. The idea being that one motor per wheel could result in some really really fun times on track.

I'd love to see a manufacturer with the history of making fun budget friendly cars pick up this project and make it main stream. Maybe someone like Toyota or Subaru.
1200 hp from ONLY the rear axle... wtf?
If that car ever sees the light of day, it will become the new widowmaker.

Perhaps they will just have an option to disable the front motor on the Sapphire they already plan to ship?

Aston Martin makes some very finely tuned grand touring vehicles with beautiful interiors. Their Achilles Heel is technology with their bread winner DBX shipping with no touch screen and MB system from 2014 in 2023. This should help Lucid with marketing their biggest strength ie. The drivetrain and Aston Martin with the transition.

Also seeing that they will develop a four motor vehicle.

A couple of years ago Zak Edson, the VP of Sales & Service, told me the Air platform was developed from the outset to take four motors. However, he said a quad-motor setup would be used only in larger vehicles than the Air, such as a truck.

Or in an SUV . . . ?

1200 hp from ONLY the rear axle... wtf?
If that car ever sees the light of day, it will become the new widowmaker.

I doubt if there are any tires you could put on a sedan that could maintain traction with the torque those two motors would lay down at full tilt. So you'd always be dealing with power cutbacks from a traction control system. The dual-motor Dream or GT-P with power being put down through four wheels would undoubtably be quicker -- and maybe even faster -- than a Sapphire with only rear motors, so there really would be no point in a RWD Sapphire.

I doubt if there are any tires you could put on a sedan that could maintain traction with the torque those two motors would lay down at full tilt. So you'd always be dealing with power cutbacks from a traction control system. The dual-motor Dream or GT-P with power being put down through four wheels would undoubtably be quicker -- and maybe even faster -- than a Sapphire with only rear motors, so there really would be no point in a RWD Sapphire.
Obviously, it would not be for speed. I think it would be built to target the same people that the carrera gt was, for a visceral electric driving experienc.(if thats even possible)

Just received this in the mail. Might be fun ... I wonder how many Lucids can be persuaded to show up?

IMG_7519.jpeg

It's interesting that most companies that introduced hybrids ended up reducing their offerings as Tesla's BEV products gained market share, with the Models Y and 3 combined now being the biggest model sellers in the world.

Other than reducing range anxiety for some people, I just do not see the appeal of hybrids over BEVs, at least for people with home charging capability. In addition to the extra weight of batteries and electric motors, hybrids still have internal combustion engines with their multi-speed gearboxes and other mechanical complexities and need oil changes and other maintenance that EVs don't. To me, instead of being the best of both worlds, hybrids seem to be the worst of both worlds.

I wonder if some of what's going on with the slowdown of EV sales is due to the possibility that EVs are now hitting the adoption wall formed by the lack of home charging access for people who don't have it.

As resistance to improving EV charging infrastructure is growing in some political quarters, the prospect for wider EV adoption is dimming. Despite the popularity of EVs in Florida -- which has the highest EV adoption rate in the nation behind California -- DeSantis' new "Don't Say Climate Change" legislation contains provisions specifically reversing EV-friendly provisions of Florida law and advancing the cause of fossil fuels.

Given a choice in this large purchase between something known to work and something that probably works, but you might be stranded if the chargers don’t work, a hybrid is the obvious default for most people.

Now if EA had started out rock solid reliable, and free charging were limited to say 90% charge, the popular perception might be quite different.

There are simply too many people, such as apartment dwellers, with no access to chargers. Others simply can’t get over the idea of charging taking 20-30 minutes vs refueling their ICE vehicles in 2 minutes at gas stations that are, by any definition, ubiquitous. This is on top of the range anxiety that still exists among many.

Then you have the Feds who have only rolled out a small handful of chargers after spending a huge amount of money. This simply gives the appearance of both incompetence and the difficulty in expanding the charging infrastructure. It further highlights the huge disparity between gas stations & charging stations to those who have even a passing interest in going EV.

Then, to make matters worse, we have the experience I witnessed 2 days ago while charging. While I was charging, a friend pulled in 2 stalls away from me with his new i5, his first EV. The i5 is supposed to have plug n charge capabilities, but BMW/EA have apparently had some glitches recently that forces these drivers to use the scanner on the charger. His repeated attempts to use the scanner failed. He then moved to the charger next to me and that scanner wasn’t accepting his input either. Since he was on his way to a meeting, his stress level was pretty high. He then said to me, “This is why I had reservations about going with an EV. I love the car but hate this (motioning to the charger)”. I had to leave, but I told him to call EA and they would be able to initiate a charging session for him. I didn’t ask him, but if his charging experience doesn’t improve dramatically, I wonder if he would buy another EV.

So I see the further adoption of EVs less political and more the result of incompetence managing the existing infrastructure, the cost & difficulty in expanding that infrastructure and the existing, often valid, concerns of the EV fence sitters as well as those unalterably opposed to EVs for personal concerns. It’s a tough nut to crack and it will take time & ingenuity to solve.

It's interesting that most companies that introduced hybrids ended up reducing their offerings as Tesla's BEV products gained market share, with the Models Y and 3 combined now being the biggest model sellers in the world.

Other than reducing range anxiety for some people, I just do not see the appeal of hybrids over BEVs, at least for people with home charging capability. In addition to the extra weight of batteries and electric motors, hybrids still have internal combustion engines with their multi-speed gearboxes and other mechanical complexities and need oil changes and other maintenance that EVs don't. To me, instead of being the best of both worlds, hybrids seem to be the worst of both worlds.

I wonder if some of what's going on with the slowdown of EV sales is due to the possibility that EVs are now hitting the adoption wall formed by the lack of home charging access for people who don't have it.

As resistance to improving EV charging infrastructure is growing in some political quarters, the prospect for wider EV adoption is dimming. Despite the popularity of EVs in Florida -- which has the highest EV adoption rate in the nation behind California -- DeSantis' new "Don't Say Climate Change" legislation contains provisions specifically reversing EV-friendly provisions of Florida law and advancing the cause of fossil fuels.
Good point - total head scratcher for a prudent person to see the benefits of EV adoption and starting to make moves to help reduce our climate influencing actions. I am a moderate thinker and if there is compromise or good faith negotiation I would be happy with the effort made. The head in the sand approach can only go so far but they don’t seem to care because people like the Governor of Florida or the advisors cannot be sued personally for their actions.

The Saudis investment in Lucid makes sense bc they know that oil is limited and they have a winner in the future when the oil wells dry up.

I do think the other manufacturers are marketing their EVs for the look but they do not mention the range which does not help educate the casuals buyer get past range anxiety- aside from the fact they mainly do not have a comparable range to Lucid. Home charging is helpful but the power infrastructure to charge needs a boost to help give drivers options on the road.

There are simply too many people, such as apartment dwellers, with no access to chargers. Others simply can’t get over the idea of charging taking 20-30 minutes vs refueling their ICE vehicles in 2 minutes at gas stations that are, by any definition, ubiquitous. This is on top of the range anxiety that still exists among many.

Then you have the Feds who have only rolled out a small handful of chargers after spending a huge amount of money. This simply gives the appearance of both incompetence and the difficulty in expanding the charging infrastructure. It further highlights the huge disparity between gas stations & charging stations to those who have even a passing interest in going EV.

Then, to make matters worse, we have the experience I witnessed 2 days ago while charging. While I was charging, a friend pulled in 2 stalls away from me with his new i5, his first EV. The i5 is supposed to have plug n charge capabilities, but BMW/EA have apparently had some glitches recently that forces these drivers to use the scanner on the charger. His repeated attempts to use the scanner failed. He then moved to the charger next to me and that scanner wasn’t accepting his input either. Since he was on his way to a meeting, his stress level was pretty high. He then said to me, “This is why I had reservations about going with an EV. I love the car but hate this (motioning to the charger)”. I had to leave, but I told him to call EA and they would be able to initiate a charging session for him. I didn’t ask him, but if his charging experience doesn’t improve dramatically, I wonder if he would buy another EV.

So I see the further adoption of EVs less political and more the result of incompetence managing the existing infrastructure, the cost & difficulty in expanding that infrastructure and the existing, often valid, concerns of the EV fence sitters as well as those unalterably opposed to EVs for personal concerns. It’s a tough nut to crack and it will take time & ingenuity to solve.
EA again…but I heard they are slowly improving

EA again…but I heard they are slowly improving
Yes they are. For the last half a year, or so, i encouraged zero problems with EA chargers.

Re the hybrid cars, Robin Williams got it right

Back